This page describes the wide range of equipment and laboratories that our team use and/or run at the Open University.
Instruments for the analysis of elemental concentrations
- Niton XL3t handheld XRF for major and trace elements
- FTIR spectroscopy for the composition of biogeomacromolecules
- ICP-MS for minor and trace elements
Laboratories and mass spectrometers
- Sedimentology and palaeontology laboratories for preparation of sedimentary deposits and fossils including the extraction of microfossils.
- Microscope lab for microscope analysis particularly of microfossils
- Isotope geochemistry laboratories a dedicated suite of clean laboratories for the preparation of samples for isotopic analysis
- Mass spectrometers for isotopic analysis
Other instruments and equipment
- Computer cluster
- Scanning electron microscope